ISO14001 is an International Standard that when applied, sets out the requirements for an environmental management system. It assists organisations to improve their environmental performance through more effective use of resources and reduction of waste, gaining a competitive advantage and the trust of clients and stakeholders. Odin Business Solutions have consultants who specialise in ISO14001 management systems, who are ready to assist in all your needs from design to implementation
What is an Environmental Management System?
An environmental management system helps organisations identify, mange, monitor and control their environmental aspects and impacts in a holistic manner.
Other ISO Standards that look at different types of management systems, such as ISO9001 and ISO45001, all use a high level structure. This means that ISO14001 can be integrated easily into any existing ISO management system.
ISO14001 is suitable for organisations of all types and sizes, be they private, not-for-profit or government. It requires that an organisation considers all environmental aspects relevant to its operation, such as air pollution, water and sewage issues, waste management, soil contamination, climate change mitigation and adaption, and resource use and efficiency.
What benefits to having an Environmental Management System?
There are may reasons why an organisation should take a strategic approach to improving its environmental performance. Users of the standard have reported that ISO14001 assists with:
- Demonstrating compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements
- Increasing leadership involvement and engagement of employees
- Improving company reputation and the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication
- Achieving strategic business objectives by incorporating environmental issues into business management
- Providing a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs
- Encouraging better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organisation’s business system
To find out more, contact Odin Business Solutions or visit www.iso.org/